Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My first encounter with wine coincides with the time when I started to call in the bars and wine houses of Beyoglu when I was in highschool (not too young though, my highschool was a special kind lasting eight years, so I was 19 when I graduated). Considering the limited budget of a highschool student, we ordered mostly the cheapest beers and wines. That's why I do not have colorful memories of wine from those years since I hardy finished my glasses of those chaepest wines.

For a very long time, wine was a drink that I ordered sometimes but never drank willingly. The first thing that I noticed about wine in those days was that the serving temparature of the wine mattered a lot. In hot summar days, I used to order a glass of white wine and could drink it regardless of how bad it is at least until it gets warmer.

In later years, I started to like red wine when I had the chance of drinking wines that were chosen by people who know what they were doing instead of random choices based on limited budget. The second think that I noticed about wine in those days was that the grape of which the wine was made mattered too. When I realized that it can't be a coincidence that I like wines of a certain grape more than others, a light flashed in my head! I thought, "I am a person who likes to got pleasure from every possible thing in the life, so, wine can be one of the things that givcs me pleaseure. The only thing that I have to do is to discover which wines I like most."

In this periof of my life, I tasted a wine and decided that I can't possible drink it further. After I left my glass for about half an hour untouched, I tasted it again for some reason and I realized how surprisingly calm, easy drinking, delicious wine it became. It was a moment that made me think that wine is not only a beverage that offers flavor and pleasure, but it is also a culture that involves many misteries to be discovered.

So, as a result of these processes of my life, I recently started to buy wines and go to restaurants where I can order wines. I decided to read anything about wine and to participate in any event about wine. In the meantime, I will share my experieces related to wine here with you. I have a lot to learn until I'll be able to write comments like "it is fruity, a little too much acidity, a full body" etc. You will rather see expressions like "I tasted this wine, I learned that you should taste it in this way/ along with such and such meal..." etc. If you are a curious and amateur winelover like me, I hope we will witness together that knowledge will accumulate more and more as it is shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment