Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sirince Wines

Sirince is a village that is hidden behind a valley near to Selcuk (Turkey). In earlier dates, Greek people lived there, but afterwards, Turks that had lived in Thessalonika (Greece) moved to this town (exchange of populations btw Greece & Turkey).

I don't knowmuch about architecture but I believe Greeks (at least the ones who lived in today's Turkish lands) knew a lot about architecture. The villages they left behind seem very cute. This one is a cute Aegean village that contains tens of winehouses and that is heavily dependant on tourism although it is quite far from the sea.

Sirince's wines, especially fruit wines are very famous. I didn't pay much attention to winehouses first, since I thought they were selling only fruit wines, in which I'm not interested. After a short walk, we saw a winehouse, which also had its production facilities behind. I realized later that this was the only wine production plant in Sirince, Artemis Sirince Winery.

Alper & Efe
We started to taste grape wines first, upon my request. We tasted varietals of Carbernet Sauvignon, Gamay, Bogazkere, Shiraz, and Kalecik Karasi. We chose Gamay and Shiraz (their reserve wine) and put them aside.

Afterwards, Efe (on the right side) had given as a tour in the factory. This is a winery that is run by a Turkish - German partnership. We saw where the grapes were sequeezed, filtered and rested in steel tanks. Efe described each stage of production in detail but I won't tell you those details as I can't remember all of them.

After our little tour ended, we started to taste fruit wines. We tasted peach, melon, strawberry, black mulberry, blueberry and blackburry. Our favourites were peach and melon. In the last minute, I also saw that they had varietals of Horozkarasi and Papazkarasi (local grapes). At the end, we had 6 bottles in our hands.

After we received a few tips and advice about the town from Alper and Efe, we continued to walk around. We left our wines there as we didn't want to carry them around. They offered to send them via courier and said we can also order wines even from Istanbul (min 6 bottles). We didn't accept their offer since we wanted to give some of the wines as present in the next days of our travel. If you'd like to order wines or visit them in Sirince, you may see the necessary information here.

The wines that we bought are still in their bottles, but I'll let you know when I taste them and share my impression about them with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment