Thursday, November 11, 2010

Winemaking

I'd like to tell you something that I noticed when I was reading about winemaking, but when I set down on my computer, I noticed that before going in those details about winemaking, I need to give some basic information about it first. Therefore, I will give you very basic information about wine production today. I won't even use wine terminology, it will be so basic.

Wine can be made of several kinds of fruits, but I will generally be writing about wines made of grapes. Wines can be made of either a single kind of grape or a mixture of several kinds of grapes. The first is called varietal, the latter is cold usually as blend.

There are three main wine categories based on the color: White, Red or Rose. Contrary to expectations, white grapes can be used for making of red wines, and vice versa. The main reason for this is that the color of the wine is caused mostly from the skin of the grape. When you take away the skin of the red grapes during the initial stages of production, you can produce white wine using red grapes. For this reason, it is not possible to produce red wines from only white grapes. You have to use red grapes at a certain rate to make use of the color in the skin of the red grape.

When the grapes are collected for winemaking, the ill or rotten ones are separated, and the rest is pressed to make must. At this state, the skins can be taken away and there is only juice left, if the intention is to make white wine. For the red wine making, skins are left there and allowed to give their taste, smell and color to the must. When roze wine is made, the skins are left for a wile, but removed after a while. The must is left in either steel or oak tanks for fermentation. I time, the sugar in the must/juice is converted to alcohol. Then, the wine can be transferred to oak barrels for resting. This depends on the characteristics of the grape and of the wine. After this stage, the wine is ready for bottling.

This is a simple and short summaru of winemaking. I wanted to write this because usually I got tired of reading winemaking stages described in detail using scientific terms. I will be writing about the thing that I mentioned at the beginning of this post in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment