Thursday, December 9, 2010

Book: Essential Winetasting

Essential Winetasting, Michael Schuster
I placed my first order on amazon.com a few weeks ago. I believe amazon ships only books & dvd's to Turkey and since shipping costs are relatively high, I did not consider to buy anything from amazon.com before. This time I bought two books about wine. For those who would like to have an idea, the books costed $ 32,10 and I also paid $ 11,97 for shipping. The books arrived in good order in a carton box, four weeks after I ordered them.

Since I did not have the chance to look into both of them as I wished, I will write about only one of them today. This one is Essential Winetasting, written by Michael Schuster. I don't find the outside appearance of the book especially attracting, but the name and content of the book was promising especially in the area of tasting rather than wine production. That's why I bought it. When the book arrived, I saw that the quality of paper and pictures of the book are much better than I expected from the cover's outlook.


Essential Winetasting, Michael Schuster

In the first sections, the author talks about the details of wine tasting along with pictures and term descriptions. Following sections go into details of different types of grapes and the differences that appear in the characteristics of the same grape in different terroirs. While doing this, the author mentions some of the wines of the mentioned area and of the mentioned grape, and he also makes comparisons between them. I'm currently reading the section about the wines of red grapes. Although it is interesting to me to read about differences between the wines of the same grape arising due to different terroirs, at some point it is impossible for me to follow the names of countless terroirs and wines.

I believe that this is a good book for those who are interested in wine tasting and who want to read something about it. If English is not your native language, it takes a little time until you learn the english terminology of wine tasting at the beginning. Since I like learning the word choices made to describe certain attributes in a foreign language, it is an interesting reading for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment