Friday, April 8, 2011

First Annual In Pursuit of Flavor Wine and Cheese Event



Yes, the title means exactly what you've understood from it. This event has really been organized and realized!

The night connecting last Saturday to Sunday, we have organized a tasting event with our friends. I would like to mention proudly that this was Mehves's idea, not mine. I concluded from this that I managed to leave a good print at least on someone and I was therefore very happy :)
The idea was that everyone brings cheese and wine and we taste them - and of course drink them- together at our place. Mehves brought gouda and fume cheeses along with DLC Grenache. Nese and Cagri brought lots of nuts and chips, mihalic cheese and surprisingly Buyulubag Adakarasi. I was very surprised, because Nese's initial approach was "is it ok if I bring tequila?", so I did not expect them to know anything about this rare kind of grape and this wine's  producer. Then it appeared to me that it was actually Cagri's idea anyway. Next time, we expect Cargi to bring one of the wines produced by his father :) In return for this, I promise that I will think about his question "why wine and cheese", to which I could not give any response this time.
As host, we offered Vinkara Doruk Bogazkere, sepet (basket) cheese, dil peyniri and taze kaşar (all Turkish cheese). Actually I wanted to open a bottle of Umurbey Chardonnay, but when I suggested this at the beginning of the night, no one seemed to be interested in it, so I did not insist on it. I regretted this later though, since all of the wines on the table were wines with moderate acidity, moderate tannins (except from bogazkere), and moderate bodies, there was no considerable difference in their harmony with the cheeses. I wish I could show the difference to my friends with a highly acidic white wine.
It was a lovely evening -actually a lovely night - with a lot of wine and long lasting (in a good sense) conversations. Everyone showed to the wines and cheeses the respect that they deserved :) My favorites were Buyulubag Adakarası among the wines, and fume cheese among the cheeses. I admint gouda was also not bad at all.

Thanks to Mehves, as she took very nice pictures that you'll see in this blog from now on.
Thanks to everyone who attended this nice event! I wish that this becomes a traditional event that we repeat every year as I mentioned in the title of this post. The tasting notes are coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment