Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Chateau Peyre-Lebade (2008)

Once again, I'm going to tell you about a French wine. French wine bottles provide information on bottle labels in a different way compared to Turkish wines. Let's see what we can get from the bottle.

Chateau Peyro-Lebado gives its name to the wine. It is the name of the place where the wine is produced in Haut-Medoc. Haut-Medoc is a part of Medoc area, which is located in Bordeaux, France. This chateau - the vineyard is acquired by Baron Benjamin de Rotschild in 1979. The bottle in the above picture is from 2008.

French wine are subject to a classification which is still a little complicated to me. I mentioned before that there is a classification dating back to 1855 which defines certain vineyards of Bordeaux as grand cru, which is the highest level. I tasted once a Grand Cru wine and mentioned it here.


I have read here that there is another classification in Medoc, which classifies wines as cru bourgeois exceptionnel, cru bourgeois superieure, and cru bourgeois. The wine I'm going to tell you about is a cru bourgeois, which is the third among those levels. I noticed that the pictures of this wine on the web show that the expression "cru bourgeois" is usually written on the label, but it's not written on my bottle. I don't know if this means anything (does anyone know?).

I think this is enough for classification. Let's talk about what is inside of the bottle. As in the case of most of French wines, there is no information on the bottle about the grapes of which this wine was made. Thanks to google, we can learn that the wine is made of mostly Merlot and also Cabernet Sauvignon.

We were 4 people sharing this wine on dinner and I can tell you that everybody loved it! It is a well balanced, round, very delicious wine with still noticeable tannins. This was brought from France as a gift to me, so I'd like to say thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment